The days are getting colder (and boy, don’t we know it!) and there’s officially only 10 Monday mornings left until Christmas. As far as I’m concerned, the minute summer is finished, it’s practically Christmas time – I won’t even lie, a few Christmas songs have already been added to my Spotify playlist… I have zero shame about it either.
One of my favourite things about the colder months is wrapping up warm, watching festive films and tucking into delicious food. I’ve only started teaching myself to cook recently (I know, how bad is that?!) but one of the first things I wanted to make was my mum’s recipe for Curried Sweet Potato Soup. This soup is so hearty and full of flavour, whilst being so incredibly easy to make. It’s perfect to brighten up your day at the office or as the accompaniment to a Sunday spent in bed watching Netflix. Without further ado, here’s the scrumptious recipe!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of butter (I used Vitalite vegan butter)
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder (sometimes a little extra, to taste)
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 3 sweet potatoes, cubed
- Start off by melting the butter in a large pan on low heat, then add in the onions and stir occasionally until the onions are soft.
- Add the sweet potato into the pan along with the curry powder, and stir well.
- Add the 2 stock cubes to a jug and fill to the top with boiling water, then add to the pan and stir.
- Leave to simmer on medium heat, covered, for approximately 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Take off the heat, and blend with a blender. Here you may choose to add more water if it’s too thick, but I personally love a hearty thick soup!
- Add any salt/pepper/curry powder to taste. Voila!
It really is super easy, and so so good. It’s also a great healthy choice whilst being incredibly filling! If you use a vegan spread like I did, the soup is also vegan too – I try eat vegan where possible (probably around 70% of the time), and it helps that this recipe is simple and full of flavour.
Have you ever tried this soup before? Be sure to let me know if you like this recipe!
Thanks for reading,